Truffle Allergy

Allergies are long-lasting and one of the most common chronic diseases experienced by many. Though it affects most children, it can be outgrown but some still have it even as they grow old. Some may also mistake intolerances as allergy, but it doesn’t actually involve the immune system. Allergy is an overreaction of the body to a seemingly unharmful substance. The most common reactions are from dust, medications, insect stings, and food.

Food allergy is one of the most difficult since it deprives you of delicious treats and you always have to watch out for food triggers. What makes it more difficult is that, there’s a variety of dishes that mask ingredients that you’re actually allergic to. Once you eat something you have an allergy with, usual symptoms are itchiness and skin rash or it can sometimes lead to a more serious reaction that can lead you grasping for breath.

Truffle Allergies are reactions to eating mushrooms. Truffles are mushrooms that grow in trees and resemble a rough-skinned potato with irregular sides and strong smell. It is expensive and considered a delicacy in some countries. Known as the “diamond in the kitchen”, it is often used by popular chefs to prepare delicious dishes and delicacies. They can be seen as ingredient in Asian, Italian, French, Spanish and Greek cuisines.

Allergy to truffles is just as the same as allergy to certain foods. It can range from mild to severe and even life threatening. Symptoms include: skin itchiness and redness, warm and uncomfortable blemishes all over the body, vomiting, discomfort, numbness, stomach pain, and difficulty breathing, or even death.

People with this kind of allergy need to always carry with them antihistamines or medications prescribed by the doctor. Truffles are a common ingredient to most foods and even to chocolates. Remember it is better to prepare your own food and to always read food labels and ingredients.  If it’s possible, bring your own meal when dining out and attending gatherings or if you must eat, inform the cook or the waiter you are allergic to truffles so they can avoid serving you food with this ingredient.

Tolerance for this allergy is different for every individual and some may experience severe reactions not controllable by anti-allergy drugs. It is best to seek advice from the doctor on how to get the right diagnosis for your allergic symptoms and how to avoid the triggers. Whenever severe symptoms occur, consider it a medical emergency and always rush to the hospital to prevent further complications and severe reactions which may lead to death. It is important to remember that any kind of allergy cannot be treated; only controlled so avoid the triggers, be mindful of your foods and consult your doctor on how to better manage your symptoms.


This material is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease and should not be relied as  medical advice. Always consult your doctor before taking any medication or supplements.

Incoming search terms: